Friday, June 13, 2008

Tim Russert: Gone Too Soon

Tim Russert was in my living room so many times, I feel like he was a friend.

Of course, his presence was electronic, coming through yon tube.

Still, he was so very alive – I mean, didn’t he just seem more like a Real Guy than your average TV talking head? Whether you agreed with him or not, he managed to charm you into watching him.

So, at 58 years old, bam! He’s gone.

And it feels like it’s too soon.

I’m sure his family and close friends feel it was too soon.

I’m sure he had a lot more projects planned.

I’m sure he’d have liked more time with his loved ones.

But, Tim Russert accomplished something huge before he was gone. He wrote his book, Big Russ and Me: Father and Son: Lessons of Life. He left his words, his heartfelt musings about life: what’s important, who really matters, what makes for a good man. That’s a big chunk of yourself to leave behind.

While it’s kinda’ cool that you and I can read his words - listen to his heart - long after he’s gone; what’s really cool is that his son can read them. And his grandchildren can read them. That’s huge. That’s a legacy.

It makes me think: what will my children have to read when I’m gone?

I used to write letters to them on their birthdays. I got distracted somewhere along the way and stopped. I think it’s time to dust off the old ballpoint and let them know who I am…who I believe they are…what really matters in the long haul, stuff like that.

Thank you, Tim Russert, for reminding us to use the time well.

No comments: