Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gardening for Sanity

I've been depressed. Not the "tears in my ears from lying on my backing crying over you" type depressed. Just the don't-wanna-do-nuthin' kind. The kind that makes you no fun to be around.

Finally, a helpful thought blossomed: You need to dig in the dirt!

You see, I'd been doing two things with most of my time: writing and studying. That's all well and good, but I needed some nature time.

So, last evening, I spent two hours in the garden pulling weeds, digging out a path, hauling gravel. When it was too dark to see, I came in and, while physically tired, I was emotionally revved.

This morning I faced the computer with aplomb, verve and - dare I say it? - happiness.

What is it about gardening that turns a sour hag into a serene matron?

I think it's largely due to the fact that I cannot think while gardening. Or if I do, it's in a very limited, detached way. My mind floats in and out, mostly out...and is occasionally yanked into stark awareness of the incredible intricacy of a fern, or the heady fragrance of a lily...I pause and marvel at the exquisite complexity of Creation.

And then I drift off into la-la land for awhile and come back refreshed.

And that is why we use the word recreation: it is Re-Creation!

What feeds your soul? What re-creates you?
And, when was the last time you took time for Re-Creation?

Blessings on you!
Miz Woody

No comments: