Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Don't Want to Die Today

I had a little health scare last week and, since I have more imagination than I need, I ran through a few scenarios, all of which ended in sudden death. It's interesting that my scenarios never include more realistic things like illness and hospital bills - nothing but catastrophic death is dramatic enough for my imagination!

So, as I'm thinking about dying I have a very peaceful feeling. I'm convinced that Jesus' death on the cross was enough to get me into heaven and frankly - in a purely self-centered way - I’m looking forward to it.

But, this morning, as I was thinking about the things I am doing, and plan on doing in the near future, for my husband and kids I realized; I don't wanna' go! It's not that they can't get along without me; they could. It's that I really believe what I do for them makes a difference in their lives.

What do I do? I try to keep them fed (no small task for two college students.) Since their time at home is so limited, I help out with their laundry and errands. I am the communications hub and social secretary. I nag them to make their doctor appointments. And I listen. I rub their backs and say “Mm-hmm” while they discuss the latest frustration, joy or newsy tidbits. I smile when they come in the room.

Suddenly, I feel so important!

It’s kind of nice.

I hope you are feeling important today.

Blessings on you!
Marilyn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I know that eternity with our Lord will be beyond comprehension, I wish to remain here on earth a while longer. There is still so much to learn and experience. I'm not ready to leave my husband and children.

Having another birthday reminded me of how grateful I am for my life.